Learn how to Feed and Green the World: ensure sufficient and healthy food for the growing world population, while safeguarding the environment. This free 7-week Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) “Feeding a Hungry Planet: Agriculture, Nutrition and Sustainability” takes an interdisciplinary approach to explore solutions for the sustainable development of agriculture and food systems, by including topics such as nutrition and sustainable agricultural intensification and rural development.
Content of the course
This new SDG Academy MOOC explores the key challenges and solutions to achieve SDG 2: end hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition, and ensure sustainable food production systems by 2030.
You will learn about the pressing challenges around agriculture and food systems, the central role of agriculture in the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and development pathways towards global food security and sustainable agriculture.
You will learn from global experts in the field of nutrition, agriculture, rural development, and sustainable development. The faculty team, led by Rothamsted Research (UK) director Achim Dobermann, includes 2 professors from Wageningen University: Ken Giller (Plant Production Systems) and Johan Verreth (Aquaculture and Fisheries). Furthermore, your teachers are experts from Columbia University (USA), Cornell University (USA), Johns Hopkins University (USA), Rothamsted Research (UK) and Tufts University (USA).
What you’ll learn
- The global challenges around food and agriculture, such as widespread malnutrition, growing food demands, and the unwanted environmental impacts of agriculture.
- That agriculture is at the center of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and how we can achieve SDG 2 (End Hunger).
- What food security is and how we can design food systems that ensure nutritional security, better health and less food losses and waste.
- How we can increase food production while minimizing the pressure on the environment by the approach called Sustainable Agricultural Intensification (SAI).
- Why the alleviation of rural poverty is crucial for the sustainability of agriculture and food systems.
- Which transformational pathways, policy changes and innovations are important to enhance change towards achieving the SDGs of global food security and sustainable agriculture.
A SDG Academy course with contributions from Wageningen University & Research
SDG Academy is a virtual platform providing high-quality online education about the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The platform brings together the world’s foremost experts in the field of sustainable development. Wageningen UR researchers shared their knowledge and expertise in this new MOOC on Food & Agriculture, together with experts from 4 USA universities and Rothamsted Research in the UK.
SDG Academy is an initiative from the UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN), which was launched in 2012 by former UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon to mobilize global scientific and technological expertise to promote practical problem solving for sustainable development, including the design and implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- This event has passed.