FoodFIRST is organizing a conference on Future of farming and food security in Africa. The new generation in Africa is better educated than ever before. With booming population figures, the African youth has tremendous opportunities and challenges ahead of them. Feeding Africa is one of those urgent challenges. Food production in Africa is in the hands of smallholders and rural households. These producers are crucial for the rural economic development and food security in urban and rural areas. Dutch companies, government and NGOs have been working with their African partners for decades.
With these urgent challenges ahead, this conference invites you to join the debate on three core issues:
- How to make African smallholders more efficient: farming, food and finance?
- How to invest in food security in post conflict regions and fragile states?
- How to provide rural careers for young men and women in the agro-food sector?
Prominent speakers and guests confirmed
- Mr Graziano da Silva, DG FAO
- Mrs Sharon Dijksma, State Secretary of Agriculture (NL)
- Dr Akinwuma Adesina, former Minister of Agriculture (Nigeria)
- Mr Ishmael Sunga, Southern African Confederation of Agricultural Unions (SACAU)
- Mrs Reina Buijs, deputy Director General International Cooperation (NL)
- Mr Henri van Eeghen, Cordaid (NL)
- Mrs Irene Visser, The Netherlands-African Business Council (NABC)
Afternoon talk show
“Makkinga meets … “ hosted by Andrew Makkinga and Prof dr Ruerd Ruben (Wageningen UR), meeting with experts from industry, government and NGOs, such as: Professor Bekele Shiferaw (Ethiopia), Dr Steve Wiggins (UK), Kees Verbeek (Nl) , Roberto Kenyi Legge (South Sudan), Cynthia Makena (Kenia), Rabha Bandas (South Sudan), Dr Lia van Wezenbeek (NL), Heleen Bos (NL), Edie Mukiibi (Uganda) and Gerishom Boiyo (Kenia).
General Conference information
This conference is organized by Rabobank, Rabobank Foundation, the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development, the Ministry of Economic Affairs, Wageningen UR, Cordaid and Socires.
Sponsors: Food & Business Knowledge Platform; IICD, Royal Friesland Campina, Rijk Zwaan.
Participating students from HAS Den Bosch, Larenstein, WUR, EUR-ISS, Leiden University-ASC, ITC TU Twente.
More information: www.foodfirst.eu
- This event has passed.